Surprise your Mom by planning the perfect Mother’s Day getaway to Big Bear Lake. Whether she loves being on the lake, in the forest or relaxing with a weekend of shopping and pampering, Big Bear is the perfect choice for your getaway.
1. Reserve lodging for your getaway at BigBear.com for a full weekend of mountain recreation and relaxation.
3. Make it an extra special weekend by ordering flowers from the Little Green House to be delivered to the cabin.
4. Dad can take the kids out fishing while Mom gets a relaxing in-room massage with Mountain Mobile Massage.
6. Rent bikes at Goldsmith’s Sports, Bear Valley Bikes or Paddles and Pedals and take a ride along the lake. Goldsmith’s Sports has guided electric bike tours if you contact them in advance. Paddles and Pedals also offers kayak and paddleboard rentals if you want some time on the water.
7. If your Mom loves the water, take her out on the lake for an afternoon of fun. There are six marinas in Big Bear Lake that offer hourly, half-day and full-day rentals. Pontoon boats, fishing boats, kayaks, paddleboards and jet skis. Lake tours are also available on the Big Bear Pirate Ship and Miss Liberty Paddlewheel tours.
8. Pack a picnic and drive up to Bluff Lake Reserve for a .08 mile walk around the lake. You’ll see the pristine beauty of the old growth forest surrounding the lake and verdant meadows filled with ferns and wildflowers. Gates open daily from 9 a.m. – 6 p.m.
9. Head over to the Big Bear Discovery Center on Saturday, May 11 for International Migratory Bird Day. Activities include birdhouse building, making pine cone feeders, nature walks and bird walks.
10. Check out the rare wildflowers at the Baldwin Lake Ecological Reserve. These ‘belly plants’ are only found on the Pebble Plains in Big Bear Valley. A guided wildflower walk is available on Saturday, May 11 at 11:30 a.m.
11. Treat Mom to a Cowboy-style Sunday Brunch at Wyatt’s Saloon from 9 a.m. – 2 p.m. on Sunday, May 12. Live Country Western music, kids play area, an omelet bar, bottomless Mimosas and complimentary flowers for all Moms.
12. Also check out Mother’s Day Brunch at Stillwells Restaurant 12 to 3 p.m. Sunday, May 12. Adults are $30, Seniors $25 and kids $15. This includes a full buffet brunch featuring blackened Salmon and home-made chick pot pie, a carving station with turkey breast and baron of beef, cooked to order omelets, waffle and pasta bar and best of all, unlimited champagne and mimosas.